Visit the Premonstratensian church on the Margaret Island to feel the historical charm of Budapest.
The Premonstratensian church of Margitsziget was founded in the 13th century and functioned as a monastery.
The building was built on the site of the former Saint Michael church, which was the earliest church building of the island ( first mentioned a diploma in 1225). In the Turkish era, the monks fled in 1526 and they never came back.
The old church disappeared, except the southeast of the church.
The remains of the monastery were discovered by Kálmán Lux who have discovered the monastery’s ruins. The Premonstratensian chapel has been built using the ruins of the formal church.
The excavation started when windstorm twisted out a walnut tree with a bell with its roots in 1914, so the council ordered a full exploration of the area.
The excavated church was originally built with an 8 meter wide and 12 meters long boat, with a semi-circular ending in the end, with a raised stew. In addition to the church, there was a 15th-century chapel, which is the sacristy of today’s church.
The excavations inside the temple also revealed an earlier period of the church, and some of the formal monastery building was also exposed.
There were some sunken skeletons around the chapel- perhaps soldiers from the Tatar invasion, and a large tombstone was found in the interior with a petroglyph “Hic iacet Valentinus” – here lies Valentin. Come and feel the history in the air!
Today, the chapel is in operation and it is open for Holy Masses and for visitors.
Why not visit the ruins of the Dominican Monastery next to the church?