When in Budapest, have a relaxing walk in the beautifully restored Japanese Garden on Margaret Island. Enjoy an urban getaway in the tranquil park, sit down by the lake and feel the peaceful atmosphere inspired by Japanese culture.
There is a perfect harmony between rich vegetation, huge rocks, and wonderfully crafted water architectures. The heart of the park is the pond with water lilies, waterfall, and a wooden bridge where you can find the “Sitting Girl” statue made by Imre Csikász (1954), the statue is also known as “Mermaid of Budapest”.
The Japanese Garden on the Margaret Island is a beloved place by hobby- gardeners too, there are interesting separation ideas and innovative planting solutions.
The Japanese Garden was founded in the ’70s. The head gardener George Magyar has created an innovative and unique park which became a popular meeting and relaxing place. The garden has been recently renewed and enriched with some new exotic plants.
You can find classic and Japanese-inspired red and black benches around the park, along with orientally styled statues.
Budapest, Hajós Alfréd Setany., 1138 Hungary
The entry is free of charge.
There is no entry for private cars, however, buses and taxis are allowed. The car park is accessible from Árpád Bridge.
Probably the best way to visit Margaret Island is to use a boat or sightseeing cruise.
Cruise Hours with Margaret Island break:
- 10.15 am river cruise on panorama boat(May-Sep)
- 11 am river cruise on panorama boat (March-Oct)
- 11.45 am river cruise on panorama boat(May-Sep)
- 12.30 pm river cruise on the Danube (March-Oct)
- 1.15 pm river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
- 2 pm sightseeing cruise with guide (March-Oct)
- 2.45 pm river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
- 3.30 pm afternoon sightseeing boat (March-Oct)
- 4.15 pm river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
- 5 pm cruise with guide (Apr-Sep)
- 5.45 pm river cruise on panorama boat (May-Sep)
The Japanese Garden is ideal for a romantic walk or for a picnic with the family. Explore the unique plants and trees and feel the peace of the oriental atmosphere.